Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Dispatch from Haiti

So, encouraged by an article in--- of all fora-- the tweedy New York Review of Books, I have ventured into the world of Daily Kos, whose founder, according to Tweedy, has presented "the most ambitious, interesting, and hopeful venture in progressive politics in decades."

Fortuitously, one poster had written an entry about Haiti, my favorite dystopia. She was vacationing in the Dominican Republic and stumbled haphazardly across the border, enticed by the un-PC prospects of cockfighting and voodoo. Instead, she found hovels and kids with dead eyes. For instance, when one member of her tour group tossed some baseball hats to the congregation of children outside the bus,

it got really bad really fast. They were fist fighting in the dirt over a hat. One of them broke away and the others gave chase. They caught him and they fought some more. Running, chasing and fighting until we couldn't see them in the dust. It was about this point that I took my trusty flask out of my backpack and started drinking.

I learned from readers' comments that a new documentary about Haiti, by a Danish first-time director, is on its way. Word is that it's pretty anti-Aristide.

More on Haiti later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my love! I adore your hair! My mum said she had an absolutely fabulous time with you and J-Starr! That is awesome--they are coming in this weekend! Your blog is great--especially the part about George Clooney. I love you and miss you and thank you for this link into your life. In my eyes, you are big enough to make a difference.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home